The National Democratic Congress (NDC) went to the polls on Saturday to elect a flag bearer and parliamentary candidates for the 2024 general elections.
Some incumbent Members of Parliament of the party surprisingly lost their chance to represent their constituents in the upcoming 2024 elections.
One of the shocking results was A.B.A Fuseini, the MP for Sagnarigu, losing to newcomer Attah Issah, who secured 801 votes compared to Fuseini’s 330.
Wisdom Kobena Woyome, the South Tongu MP, also lost his slot to Maxwell Kwame Lukutor. Lukutor won with 597 votes while Woyome polled 562 votes.
In Kpando, the incumbent MP Dela Sowah was defeated by Sebastian Fred Deh with 332 votes to 281 votes. Dr Kwabena Donkor, the MP for Pru East, lost to Emmanuel Kwaku Boam, who beat the incumbent with 474 votes.
Augustine Tawiah, the MP for Bia West, lost his nomination to Mustapha Amadu Tanko, who won with 935 votes against Tawiah’s 452 votes. In Bongo, Edward Bawa, the MP, lost his bid to Charles Bawaduah with 535 votes, while he got 509 votes.
Former President John Dramani Mahama secured a landslide victory and will lead the opposition National Democratic Congress into the 2024 general elections. He pulled 297,603 (98.9%) of the total valid votes emerging as against his contender Kojo Bonsu who managed to poll 3,181 (1.1%) votes.Former Bank of Ghana governor Dr Kwabena Duffuor had aleady filed an injunction case to halt the process but later withdrew the injunction arguing he will not take part in an election which is blatantly fraught with irregularities, regardless of all his efforts to draw the attention to same.
Incumbent MPs who lost their slots below:
- Kwabena Donkor – Pru East
- ABA Fuseini – Sagnerigu
- Thomas Dalu – Chiana-Paga
- Samson Tangombu Chiragia – Navrongo Central
- Edward Bawa – Bongo
- Alex Adomako – Sekyere Afram Plains
- Wisdom Gidisu – Krachie East
- Abeiku Crentsil – Ekumfi
- Albert Akuka Alalzuuga – Garu
- Della Sowah – Kpando
- Augustine Tawia – Bia West
- Angela Oforiwa Alorwu-Tay – Afadjato South
- Peter Yaw Kwakye Ackah – Amenfi Central
- Christian Otuteye – Sege
- Kobena Woyome – South Tongu
- Sophia Ackuaku – Current MP for Domeabra-Obom but switched to Ayawaso Central
- Kwadwo Nyanpon Aboagye – Biakoye